Victim celebrating £5k payday stabbed five times with Rambo knife

Anthony FranceFri, 5 February 2021, 12:34 pm

Guy O’Neill (Metropolitan Police )
Guy O’Neill (Metropolitan Police )

Thugs who robbed and stabbed a man with Rambo-style blade after he went to the pub to celebrate a £5,000 payday have been jailed.

Guy O’Neill, 22, met the man, in his 30s, by chance on a night out in ChingfordEast London.

The victim was celebrating having been paid for the completion of a job and had a large amount of cash on him in September 2017.

O’Neill invited the man back to his then address in Willow Street when the bar closed, the Old Bailey heard.

Once inside, he began asking questions about where the victim lived and what route he would take to get home.

As they continued drinking, he contacted another man Lee O’Neill to inform him he had found an easy target for a robbery.

Metropolitan Police
Metropolitan Police

Lee, also 22, in turn phoned friend Bartosz Bak and they made their way to the area to await further instructions.

At around 02.40am, the victim left to walk home. Guy O’Neill informed his two accomplices, directing them to a footbridge over a railway at Beresford Road.

Lee and Bak, 22, confronted the victim with a Rambo-style knife.

In a struggle, the victim managed to break away, only to realise he had been stabbed five times.

He was rushed to hospital and had to undergo life-saving surgery.

Lee and Bak fled the scene, discarding the knife as they ran.

Police officers spoke to the victim, who recalled meeting Guy O’Neill on the night of the attack. Lee and Bak were identified by phone call analysis and forensics on the knife.

Guy O’Neill, of Burns Avenue, Chadwell Heath, Lee O’Neill, of Blackmore Road, Buckhurst Hill and Bartosz Bak, of Valley Side, Chingford were all found guilty of attempted robbery following a trial.

Metropolitan Police
Metropolitan Police

Lee O’Neill and Bak were also found guilty of GBH and possession of an offensive weapon.

All three received six-and-a-half year jail sentences.

Detective Constable David Marnoch, of the Met’s North East Basic Command, said: “This was an opportunist attack on an innocent man who was out celebrating.

“A chance meeting with Guy O’Neill led to a series of events which almost resulted in murder.

“His actions, in conceiving and planning the attack, and Lee O’Neill and Bak’s decision to follow the instructions and lay in wait for the victim before stabbing him, were abhorrent.

“This has been a lengthy and challenging investigation, but I hope now these three men have been jailed, the victim can begin to move on from the horrific events of that night.”